Post Surgical Instructions
Post operative instructions after APICOECTOMY:
1. Take prescribed medications as directed. If tolerated, over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications such as Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, and Aleve) can be taken as needed to relieve discomfort. NEVER MIX PAIN MEDICATION & ALCOHOL.
2. To minimize swelling, apply a cold compress to the outside of the face directly over the surgical area. Cold beverages, ice cream, or ice chips will also add to comfort. Do not apply heat to the area.
3. Expect some oozing (slight bleeding, reddish colored saliva) to occur for several hours after surgery. Should excessive bleeding occur place a moistened tea bag on the area for a full 30 minutes, if bleedings has not stopped call the office immediately.
4. There may be slight swelling and discoloration in the area for 3-5 days following the surgery, this is a normal part of the healing process.
5. In some cases there may be temporary loss of feeling in the operated area. The treated tooth may feel loose or sensitive-this should dissipate over time.
6. Do not brush teeth in surgical area for 72 hours, then only light, gentle brushing for the next 3-4 days (you may brush all other areas as normal). After the 1st 24 hours, you will need to use the Peridex rinse in place of brushing.
7. Do not rinse or spit for the first 24 hours. Starting tomorrow, warm salt-water rinses (1 tsp. salt to 1-cup water) can reduce discomfort and aid in healing.
8. Maintain a soft food diet the first 24 hours then avoid chewing in the area for the next few days.
9. To minimize post operative problems do not lift the lip to examine the area (this can tear sutures).